Deck of the Month Winner for September 2023: Jason E. of Mississippi
Congratulations to Jason E. of Mississippi, who wins our Deck of the Month award for September 2023!
Jason took a long, narrow space alongside a garage and turned it into a gorgeous outdoor sitting area. From the eye-catching composite deck boards to the built-in stairs to the brilliant integrated lighting setup, let's explore what makes this deck a great use of yard space.
Learn More About This Classy Front Porch Look
Think of the space directly next to your garage. How often do you use it?
Jason's deck provides a great example of how to make that space not just usable, but cozy and inviting.
TimberTech Reserve Composite Decking
Jason used TimberTech Composite deck boards from the Reserve collection. Not only does that make this deck completely low-maintenance, it also drives the overall look of the space.
The TimberTech Reserve collection is designed to hit the trendy reclaimed wood look. The boards have a wire-brushed texture and earthy, organic colors. For this deck, that means one thing: texture, texture, texture.
With brick siding and a walkway that looks like smooth cement pavers, this deck combines a whole range of visual textures. That makes for an eye-catching space with a craftsman style.
This deck combines two TimberTech Reserve colors: the gray Driftwood finish and the brown Antique Leather. We love the Antique Leather picture frame around the deck, and how it's used to clearly mark the built-in steps.Shop TimberTech Reserve
TimberTech RadianceRail Express Composite Railing
This roughly ground-level deck doesn't technically need railing - it's under 36 inches off the ground. But one small stretch of railing on the end of the deck helps define the space and the boundary between the driveway and the sitting area.
Jason used TimberTech's RadianceRail Express - a slim, trimmed-down take on traditional composite railing. The result is an elegant look that adds some bright white color without being overpowering. You can see the slim RadianceRail top rail below.
TimberTech Deck Lighting
The cherry on top is the brilliant lighting setup that really sets this deck apart when dusk falls.
The railing is adorned with TimberTech Post Light Modules, slim low-voltage lights that fit between the post and the post cap. It's a subtle, almost unnoticeable look by day, but provides warm, inviting illumination by night.
Plus, Jason recessed lights into his stairs and fascia boards for a cool spotlight effect.
These subtle Aurora recessed stair lights are surprisingly easy to install, and they make a huge difference in any deck space.
Make no mistake: this is a complete and well-rounded lighting setup. Here are the other lighting elements in the ensemble:
- The Under Rail Low Voltage LED Light by LMT Mercer provides the light from underneath the top rail
- The No See Em Low Voltage LED Strip Light by Dekor makes the stairs safe by brightly illuminating each stair tread
- The EZ Transformer and Controller Enclosure by Dekor is a clever, built-in way to create a dry spot to house your low voltage transformer and protect it from the outdoor elements
Inspired? See More
Enter Our Deck of the Month Contest & Win Free Swag!
Are you the proud owner of a newly-upgraded deck? Show off your sparkling outdoor oasis and win some free swag - submit your best photos and your deck could be a future Deck of the Month winner!
To enter, send your best deck photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and briefly tell us about your project. If your deck wins, we'll hook you up with some free DecksDirect swag and feature your photos on our site and social media profiles!Enter Your Deck
To help your deck submission stand out, here are a couple of our favorite photo-taking tips:
- Try several different angles: a high shot can show off more of your deck surface. A low shot lets everyone experience your deck the way you do when walking up to it. Try a couple different angles to really show off all aspects of your deck.
- Include your decor and furniture: once you've completed your deck upgrade, don't take your photos until you've moved your furniture, grill, outdoor decorations and personal touches back into your space. We love seeing lived-in spaces that homeowners are already enjoying!
- Wait for good weather: it's tempting to snap photos the moment you finish a project. But if it's raining or the sky is covered in dark and gloomy clouds, wait for a dry deck and brighter lighting to really show off the best side of your space.
Browse more deck design and railing style notes to upgrade your backyard space and deck in the DecksDirect Railing Style Guide: the quickest way to learn if your home is more suited for a classic aluminum deck railing or a showstopping cable rail setup.
The more you know, the better your deck and backyard projects will be! Whether you're looking at a brand new project, a deck update, or a style refresh, give our deck project planners a call at 1-888-824-5316 or send us an email at email@example.com. Our experienced team will help you get the information, products, and tools you need for an awesome deck completely personalized to your needs!